Holiday Book Drive
Wish Upon a Book's Holiday Book Drive project serves students at predominantly low-income elementary schools by providing several classrooms with books for their classroom libraries and a book for each student to take home. In 2018, activities and photos will also be shared across partner schools in Chicago and Los Angeles.
We’re excited to announce that teachers and students from all kindergarten, first, and second grade classrooms at Maternity BVM Elementary School in Chicago and San Miguel Elementary School in Los Angeles participated in the Holiday Book Drive in 2018!
How It Works
1. The elementary school teachers develop fun lesson plans related to books they will request.
2. The elementary school teachers provide a 'wish list' of books for each student in the classroom based on a provided list of classic and popular books.
3. Wish Upon a Book collects books from generous donors (donate here!) and wraps the books for the holidays.
4. The books are delivered to the classrooms in mid-December!
5. In a fun twist this year, activity results and photos are shared across partner schools in Chicago and LA after the holidays - starting a “pen pal” relationship that will continue through the spring.